Ways to Get Involved
Get Involved with Open Mind Zen
Attend a class
Beginners and experienced meditators are welcome to join us for all activities and sittings at OMZN. No pre-registration is needed. For those new to Zen and meditation in general, we ask that you arrive 15 minutes early for a brief orientation. The suggested donation for meditation is $10. However, “dana” or generosity in Sanskrit, is a fundamental practice in Buddhism and larger donations are welcome and appreciated. OMZN is a 501c3 tax exempt organization and deductions made by check or credit card are tax deductible. Cash donations are also accepted but may not be deductible without a receipt. Yoga and other body practice classes are individually priced by the teachers.
Become a member
If you feel a connection to OMZ and wish to meditate on a regular basis here, we welcome you to consider becoming a member. This is wonderful way to support our center and deepen your own practice. Suggested donation for membership is $60/month. This includes all OMZ weekly meditation offerings. Membership does not include yoga classes. Members receive discounts on all meditation retreats/events. To become a member, simply go to the “Support Us” page and click on the appropriate Paypal button.
Become a Zen student
This is for those wanting to make a deeper commitment to Zen practice. This might arise out of a connection to our methods of practice, our community, and our teachers. Students will meet on a regular basis with Andy. Suggested donation for OMZ Students is $75/month. To become a student of OMZ, please speak personally with Andy. The following guidelines apply:
- A minimum of 3 months of regular meditation practice at our center.
- Committed meditation practice, a minimum of 30 minutes daily.
- Study of Dharma books of your choosing or suggested by the teacher.
- Regular participation in meetings and events at our center, including attendance of at least one retreat per year.
- Regular daisan/dokusan (private interviews) with your teacher(s). At least once a week if possible.